Welcome    Our History    Churches & Schools    Newsletter    River Power Pod    Porta Fidei    Holy Land Diary    Rome Diary  
History of Our Parish
Sacred Heart, Colne

Around 1850 an attempt was made to start a chapel in Colne, the priest journeying from Burnley to a room above the stables of the Angel Inn in Market Street. The priests had to be escorted by a policeman and the people outside listening to 'No Popery' lectures often out-numbered those inside.

In 1871 Fr Pierce Griffiths had arrived in Colne, there were then about 200 Catholics and services were being held in the Cloth Hall. In the last few years of the 19th century there was a great influx of people, many of them Catholic, into the town to work in the ever expanding cotton industry. This increase in the number of Catholics made more acute the need for a permanent church. By the end of 1886 a plot of land had found in Derby Street, the congregation was now about 400. The chapel was ready by 1888, but before long became too small.

Fr Mom found a site in Queen Street again belonging to Lord Derby. Building began in 1896 and the Church was opened before the end of 1897, although it was not complete. The first chapel in Derby Street now continued as a school the church was dedicated to the Sacred Heart and many years of continued building, improvement and refurbishment were to follow. As the congregation grew stronger it became necessary to open a new school. This was done in 1905, part of the money for this was raised when the parishioners gave one day's wage.

On March 2nd 1913, a chapel of Ease was opened at Cottontree dedicated to St Ursula. In June 1929 the land on which the church stood finally came into the hands of the church and Fr Aspinall embarked on his plan for rebuilding of the church interior by permanent embellishment. The work took several years, from 1934 to 1940, to complete the new mosaics on the walls and the Stations of the Cross alone cost just short of £6000. On September 7th 1940, Dr Henry Vincent Marshall, the then bishop of Salford came to Colne to consecrate the altar the church was complete!

Holy Saviour, Nelson

By 1881 Nelson families conceived the idea of renting a room over the Newton Co-op in Every Street to use as a Sunday school and religious centre. In 1883 the school chapel was opened and the Day School accepted its first scholars in January 1884. Thanks to the support of the catholic families both local and those belonging to the wider Catholic community and to the energy and inspirations of Fr Robert Smith, schools and chapels were opened across the district.

St Joseph's church was opened in July 1897. In Brierfield a chapel and school was opened in 1895. The church and school at Barrowford opened in 1887. At Red Skye, Pendle forest the oratory of our lady and the English martyrs opened in December 1899. The building which was to become St George's had plans prepared and opened in December 1900. The first internment took place at Holy Souls cemetery in 1901, the cemetery and chapel being consecrated in 1906.

In 1896 the site of Bradley Hall Barn was obtained for £50 and Holy Saviour school was opened. Within three days of opening the school had 72 children on the register. Very shortly many Nelson Catholics expressed a desire to have Mass celebrated in the school. This request was accede to in 1898. Fr Smith with the help of Fr John Connor continued to serve this mission from St Joseph's.

On Whit Sunday 1899 the Bishop gave approval for Holy Saviour (and SS Peter and Paul) to be worked and financed as distinct from St Joseph's. Fr Connor was formally appointed first rector of the parish in 1900. The Catholics of Holy Saviour were soon anxious to build their own church. Through their enthusiasm, hard work and personal sacrifices the memorial stone was laid in August 1904 and the church was opened on 19th March 1905.

At first only two thirds of the nave was built including the main entrance, a choir gallery, a temporary sanctuary and sacristy. A further improvement was the addition of a beautiful altar which was dedicated by Bishop Casartelli in May 1911. This altar was the gift of Miss Halliwell and was made in memory of her mother and as a thanksgiving for her reception into the church. Throughout the ensuing years the parish seemed to grow from strength to strength. This ever increasing community which by 1940 recorded adult attendance at Sunday Mass as approximately 500, not only prayed together but worked together to maintain and improve their parish.

Holy Saviours celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in 1956 by extending the church to almost double the size, in addition there was a new sanctuary, confessionals and boiler house. A Parish community had successfully established a parish church and provided a purpose built schools for its children naturally felt a great sense of fulfilment. The emphasis was now not on major building works, but rather on the maintenance and development of these assets.

In 1993 Fr Michael Haworth was welcomed as the new parish priest and one of his initial tasks was the management of the refurbishment and redecoration of the church which was completed in January 1995. At the same time the old primary school next to the church was being used as a parish centre began a major renovation which was completed in 1998.

In July 1995, preparations began to celebrate the Centenary. A whole host of events took place throughout the year but by far the most special was the centenary mass held on the 8th June 1996, with his Eminence, Cardinal George Basil Hume, as the chief celebrant.

Sunday Mass & Service Times

9.30am - Sacred Heart, Colne
11.15am - Holy Saviour, Nelson
6.00pm - SS Peter & Paul, Barrowford

Weekday masses and confessions as announced in the weekly newsletter

Baptisms and marriages by appoinment

HACKED BY ATSIZ
Posted on 11th May

HACKED BY ATSIZ

Query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1